Energy and carbon specialist
Energy and carbon specialist
Are you passionate about creating zero-carbon homes (new and retrofit) and helping companies to achieve their net-zero ambitions? Are you looking for an opportunity to work with sector-leading developers, local authorities and businesses?
There is no time to waste in taking urgent and effective action to tackle the climate and ecological emergency. At Bioregional we’ve been championing sustainable change for 25 years.
We’re now looking for an experienced technical lead for our energy and carbon work. You will have a strong, applied understanding of energy use of domestic and non-domestic buildings and how to develop ambitious but realistic energy and carbon-reduction plans for new-build and existing estate. You will have experience of SAP, SBEM, IES and other energy modelling for buildings. You have a strong track record of managing and advising on energy and carbon management projects, in either a relevant in-house or consultancy role.
At Bioregional you will have the opportunity to lead and grow an emerging work area. You will be our go-to energy and carbon specialist, working on some of our flagship projects. You will also take the lead on shaping your work stream, through providing thought leadership, representing Bioregional at conferences and events and building relationships with potential new clients. You will inspire our ambitious project officers, helping them to deliver excellent work and developing their skills and careers. Ultimately you will use your expertise to achieve measurable and significant carbon reductions in the built environment with consultancy clients and grant-funded project partners.
Experience and responsibilities
You will have a strong background and qualifications in energy and carbon management with 3 - 5 years’ relevant experience.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be a technically minded and well-trained professional, who can handle complex and challenging modelling and is confident in providing sound and reliable advice based on experience and knowledge.
- Have a strong interest and knowledge of sustainability, from an environmental and/or social perspective, based on personal conviction as well as academic and/or practical experience.
- Be a balanced all-rounder with excellent competencies in numeracy and research to create an evidence base, combined with good leadership and collaboration skills, excelling at presentation, persuasion and reassurance in order to win hearts and minds
This role will work across Bioregional’s projects with developers, retailers and local authorities:
- Working with sector-leading developers and asset owners to develop zero-carbon energy strategies for new-build residential and non-residential developments
- Working with companies with large property portfolios to calculate the carbon footprint of their estate and create zero-carbon actions plans and targets in line with the latest climate science.
- Working with local authorities to calculate baseline carbon emissions (own operations and whole district), develop detailed zero-carbon action plans in response to climate emergency declarations
- Supporting Bioregional’s subsidiary, Bioregional Homes, to plan, design and build zero-carbon homes across the south east.
- Working with our senior leaders to inform policy and industry practice to achieve zero-carbon energy in the built environment
Bioregional has been winning awards and creating cutting-edge solutions to sustainability for 25 years. Our main offices are based in BedZED, the UK’s first large-scale eco-village, and our first major housing collaboration.
We have built our expertise, knowledge and reputation by collaborating with leading industry players and governments to apply genuine sustainability in practice to major schemes and organisations across the world.
We are the creators of the One Planet Living framework, which provides a vision and a toolkit for creating healthy and happy lifestyles within the limits of our one planet.
There are now more than 600,000 people around the world living in, working at or visiting organisations and communities with a deep commitment to One Planet Living.
More information The post is permanent and full-time, and is based at our offices at the award-winning BedZED eco-village in South London, on the mainline Victoria and Thameslink train lines.
Salary: £35k – 44k depending on experience, plus 6% ethical pension contribution, and 25 days annual leave – rising by one day for each year of service up to 30 days.
Bioregional is committed to increasing diversity within our organisation, and the environmental sector as a whole. We welcome applications from everyone, whatever your age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, faith or disability.